Why it is not worth it..
The value of putting a money on something is judged by the return it gives, or a status, it confers to the candidate. The fee of medical colleges is exorbitant in many medical colleges and may not be worth buying a seat, because it may take, whole years of life working to even recover the fee or repaying the loans, amidst the present era of complex working scenario for doctors.
Private medical colleges may charge fee of 5 million to 10 million rupees or may be more. There are glaring financial complexities arising out of the huge amount.
1. The aspiring doctor will not add that much to his worth, because in case he loses his life in Covid (for example), the family will not receive that much compensation. Compensations for doctor’s death are lower than the fee charged by medical colleges. Not to talk about hard work and years spent and the sufferings of years to become a doctor. So a doctor’s life still remains cheaper than money spent on purchasing a medical degree.
2. Fee paid for education purposes may be worth, if the person is able to earn it back in one or may be two years. In present scenario, some lucky doctors will be able to earn that much amount in 5 to 10 years, by honest means. Rest, not so lucky, just try to repay loans, all over their life span. Any business done by use of that money will pay more than what a doctor will earn.
3. Doctor spends his life, treating hundreds and thousands of patients and saving uncountable lives, but one patient may sue the doctor for millions of rupees, mistake or even a unsatisfied patient. These compensations sought and given by courts are much beyond the money given as compensation in case of doctor death. Just proves that doctor’s as a person and with the degrees earned is not worth spending that huge amount.
4. So money demanded from doctors, be it for medical education or malpractice lawsuit, is multi-fold of what is given to them. There can be various pretexts to exploit doctors. They pay thousands of times of the amount they charge from patient, to lawyers, in medical malpractice lawsuit and insurance companies, just to save themselves.
5. After paying millions to medical institutes, putting themselves to hardship of years, provides them degrees. But simultaneously they become target for medical lawsuits, verbal abuse, administrative pressure and sometimes physical assaults. Getting a degree and having a healing ability does not enhance their respect in present era.
The lack of sense of gratitude towards doctors takes away the last inspiration to spend millions for the expensive medical college seat.
Paying huge fee to medical college will make a person poorer, especially honest people. One has to apply wisdom, how buying an expensive medical college seat is going to be beneficial.